Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Doctor's Visit

I was thinking this morning that I did not have anything too eventful to write on my blog, however, I then remembered Riley had a doctor's appointment that I had to take both of them to today. I was hoping it would go ok, but I knew it was very likely to be interesting. Oh my, it was stressful! I was not sure how to bring both of them in safely without using the double stroller, so I just used it. The rooms are very small for a stroller that big, but that was really my only option. Once we arrived in the waiting room they both wanted out of the stroller. Riley wanted to run and Quinn wanted to be held...the usual. Instead of causing a scene of two crying kids, I did what they wanted. Riley ran everywhere and talked to everyone. People looked at me like I was crazy and I was told a few times, "I bet you stay busy". Things were going well until Riley was called back into a room. When she heard her name she did a nose dive off of the chair she was standing on. I put both of them in the stroller. At this time both were crying down the hallway. Riley then had to be weighed and measured. To Riley, this is pure torture. She screamed bloody murder as she had to stay still for all of 20 seconds. On top of that, I had to reassure the nurse that the numerous marks on her forehead were fresh from the recent nose dive, but she acted very concerned as if I was beating her on the head. We took her to be weighed and left Quinn in the stroller in the room. He flipped out so another nurse came in to calm him down while the nurse and I took a screaming child to the scale. Their cries resounded all through the office. I think I was sweating by now. While we were waiting for the doctor, I thought I should feed Quinn. During this time, Riley began climbing everything and trying to open every door in the room. I was able to grab her while feeding Quinn a few times, but I just let her go at it. What else could I do? The doctor came in the room to do his thing. Once again, pure torture for Riley to sit still for any amount of time. Both were crying again. At least the doctor looked at me with pity instead of annoyance. Then came the shots. I once again held Riley down. Usually the nurse does them pretty quickly, but Riley was crying so hard she had to wait until she started breathing to do the next one. I really thought she was going to pass out. We promptly left the office after the shots in order to allow the office some peace and quiet after 45 minutes straight of screaming. They both cried on the way home. I am hoping the older they get, the easier these appointments become. One can only hope.

Riley's stats for all who care:
Weight- 23 pounds 14 oz putting her in the 50th percentile.
Height- 31 1/2 inches long, putting her in the 85th percentile.
She is perfectly healthy and is ahead in all of her developmental milestones. Praise the Lord for a healthy, active, overachieving child!

No comments:

Post a Comment