Monday, April 16, 2012

Contact Deleted

Do you periodically delete all the names of those long lost friends and co-workers listed in your cell phone? Every once in a while, I delete old contacts and it brings me some relief to know my phone list is not so overwhelming. However, for almost a year, I have put off deleting a contact. It just does not seem right to delete your dad from your phone list. I have passed his name almost every time I make a call. I know he is not here, but it brought some comfort just to see the name "dad".

My dad was not much of a phone talker and it would come as a surprise when he did call to chat. I always loved hearing his voice and would make it my secret goal to keep him on the phone for longer then 5 minutes. I miss calling him. He would be first person to call when my car made "funny" noises. Many times I would hold the phone up to my car and he would recognize the sound and tell me what to do. He knew how to fix sinks and drains. He knew how to kill weeds and how to keep rain from coming through our doors. Thanks to him, I can not fix a darn thing because he always did it for me. Three days ago, I deleted that name that meant so much to me. No more calls will be made to that amazing man.

About a year ago, I stopped blogging. At that time, my dad was very sick. I was going back and forth to Michigan never knowing if it would be my last time seeing him. I was trying to take care of two little ones and my daddy. Trying to keep up with a blog was too much. You see, my dad loved reading the blogs about the kids. He would actually call when something was really funny to him. I knew reading my blog brought a smile to his face, even through his suffering. I was daddy's little girl and we always had a special connection. After he passed away, I just could not bring myself to blog. He was not there to read it, to call, to laugh.

God has taught me many lessons since dad passed away. Grieving is extremely difficult, but the process can teach us so much. As many of you know, God blessed us with new life shortly after dad's death. Her name is Reese and she fits perfectly in this family of ours. God is good and I am ready to blog about our crazy life, even if my dad is not here to read it.

Dad, you will always be on my mind when sharing stories of our little blessings. Oh how I would love for you to see how funny Riley continues to be or how cute our sweet little, active boy is. I long for you to meet our beautiful, precious little baby. I miss you more then words can express. I am looking forward to the day I can see your perfect, healthy body again. As for now, I desire to treasure the wonderful, sometimes long, hard, crazy, beautiful days here on earth.

4 comments:

  1. Yay!!!! So excited that your blogging again...I can hardly see what I'm typing through my tears. Love you, Alicia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I read your blog I couldn't believe how much alike we are. It took me a while to read it through all my tears. I too have dad's name still on my phone and his message on my answering machine. I need to hear his voice and see his name and am not ready to delete either one and may never be ready. As things go wrong at home I get so overwhelmed because dad could fix anything and like you I can't. I remember about every night he come home from work asking if you had another blog because he loved to read them. I also wish dad could have met Reese and watched the other two grow. I am looking forward to someday him seeing all the grandchildren and all of us together again in heaven. What a joyous day that will be. I am looking forward to your next blog. Love, Mom

      Delete
    2. Oh how sweet your blog/blog responses are. I get choked up reading them and knowing you both, knowing your love for Dave and your faith. No words can express how I feel about your family. I love you all and I am ever grateful for our journey here together as well as the eternal promise we all have in Christ. Thank you both for your genuine honesty. Surely you showing your vulnerbility will help others It is refreshing to see your risk in being real. Taimi

      Delete
  2. What Abby said! Ialso love reading your blogs. Love you and your precious family.

    ReplyDelete