Saturday, November 20, 2010

My Intense Little Beauty

Just a look back into the past!

Over the past couple of weeks, I have been able to finally understand my little girl. In many ways, she is very different from me and in many ways she is similar. I have really struggled with knowing how to parent her. I know she is still so little, but I feel like I need to make good decisions now because they will affect her when she is older.

Riley has always been early in all of her developmental milestones. Although I know there is nothing wrong with that, I don't always feel prepared for the next stage so suddenly. She crawled early, walked early, gave up her morning nap early, talked early, sang early, and started having some pretty intense temper tantrums early. I am constantly trying to figure out how to teach her to be obedient. I have read books, talked to other parents, and used the trial and error method. I have felt like I just wasn't getting her little personality and I was frustrated with her too often.

Today as I was in the shower (my one time a day I can get away and think), it hit me. She is intense! For those of you who know Riley well, you are probably thinking "Duh!". Well I know she is intense, but I guess I never realized the extent of it. She walks, runs, laughs, cries, loves, sings, dances, and talks with intensity. When someone visits, no matter who it is, she runs around the house and screams at the top of her lungs as if the greatest thing in the world just happened. When she kisses me it's not a little peck, it's a knock your teeth out sort of kiss.

Riley is full of passion. I need to embrace her passion more instead of becoming frustrated. For her passion will allow her to love Jesus with all her heart, love others intensely, passionately hate what is evil, and be thrilled at every little blessing that may come her way. I pray that I will never suppress that intense spirit and that I will allow opportunities to express the gifts God has given her. Even though I may pull my hair out in the process!

1 comment:

  1. I understand the prayers for patience for an intense little one. The Lord gave you Riley for a reason, He obviously wants you to parent Riley and for you to learn something in the process! At least that's what I tell myself every day about Hannah:)

    ReplyDelete